PEOPLE – I got a garden!!! You read that right – after years of pining and not having a clue where to start, the coolest couple ever (hi Jenn and Matt) dedicated hours upon hours to helping the hubs and me map out a beautiful balcony garden.
Here’s what we’re growing:
Persian Cucumbers/party radishes/ traditional radishes/scallions/baby kale/baby spinach/mesclun greens/heirloom tomatoes/roma tomatoes/cherry tomatoes/ Italian basil/rosemary/cilantro/chives/mint/strawberries/jalapenos/bell peppers.
- We have been gradually shifting our eating habits and have decided to whenever possible eat organic meat, vegetables and fruit.
- No GMO’s, no pesticides, no problems.
- Less food waste – The average American wastes 250 pounds of food per year.
- I’m in dire need of a hobby that will also be therapeutic. The satisfaction from just building the boxes, laying the seeds, aerating the soil and watering the plants has been immense.
- We have the space and the time and we want something we can do/enjoy together.
- We have a growing (no pun intended) desire to know where our food is coming from and how it’s grown.
So there you have it! The garden has gone up, the seeds have been planted and we’re anxiously waiting our first harvest – and let’s be honest brunches and dinners with friends.
If you’ve got any good recipes that incorporate what we’re growing send them my way (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a link in the comments.
Also, when are you coming over for a freshly picked dinner??